A Personal Protection Order (frequently referred to as a “PPO”) is Circuit Court injunctive order that protects victims of family violence, dating violence or stalking. The term “Restraining Order” is used in many states but in Michigan the term “Restraining Order” means the same thing as “Personal Protection Order”.
A protection order may prohibit a Respondent (the person who the protection order is filed against) from certain activities against the Petitioner (the person who is protected by the protection order) including but not limited to:
- Entering onto premises or appearing within the site of a Petitioner;
- Assaulting, threatening to kill, attacking, beating, molesting, or wounding the Petitioner;
- Purchasing a firearm;
- Interfering with the Petitioner’s efforts to remove his or her children or personal property that is owned or leased by the Respondent;
- Interfering with the Petitioner at work or school;
- Engaging in Stalking or other Harassing behavior (including Cyber-Stalking);
- Any other specific act or conduct that imposes upon or interferes with personal liberty or that causes a reasonable fear of violence.
If you want to file a protection order against someone or want to keep a protection order in full force and effect please visit our page for Filing a Personal Protection Order.
If a protection order has been entered against you then you need to act fast to avoid waiving your rights to challenge the PPO. Having a protection order against you has many significant consequences, including but not limited to:
- Your right to possess a firearm;
- Your ability to find and/or maintain a job;
- Potential jail time for a violation of the PPO;
- Your information and the facts surrounding the PPO becoming public record.
If you want to challenge, modify or fight a PPO that has been filed against you please visit our page for Defending against a Personal Protection Order. WARNING: In order to fully protect your rights you intend on challenging a protection order that has been entered against you, you must respond within 14 days of service. DO NOT WAIT! CONTACT US TODAY!
PersonalProtectionOrder.com is a product of the Law Offices of Corey D. Silverstein, P.C. and is located in Bingham Farms, MI. The Law Offices of Corey D. Silverstein, P.C. is dedicated to serving the specific legal needs of our clients. The laws governing Personal Protection Orders are frequently changing and our firm is committed to providing our clients with all of the latest tools available from the most recent statutes and case-law. To read more about the Law Offices of Corey D. Silverstein, P.C. and its lawyers please visit the About Us page.